Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dream Destination-- Antarctica

My dream destination of the day is the South Pole! Yes, I dream of going to Antarctica! Thanks to some great photos from my mom, courtesy of vacationstogo.com, I am even more enticed by this icy wonderland.

I heard a story from someone lucky enough to have recently taken a New Year's cruise to Antarctica, which is mid-summer there, where the sun was always shining and glistening off the ice and snow. I was told the sun merely does small circles in the sky, as it never truly rises and sets. This fortunate traveller has seen most of the world many times over, but he remarked that this was one place where you truly felt was not of this world-- I can only imagine!

Anyway, here are some pictures that take my breath away and make me want to take the next flight to, well, wherever you fly to to get to Antarctica. (Tierra del Fuego, maybe?)