Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dream Destination--Dubrovnik

You may be asking yourself one question--where the heck is Dubrovnik? Doesn't sound like a dream destination. What if I told you it was in Croatia? Still sound sort of Dracula meets political strife? Well, Dubrovnik has become one of the most popular and sought-after destinations in the Mediterranean. Take a look at why!

Hello!!! To borrow the expression, "this ain't your momma's Croatia!!" Dubrovnik is a medieval town of the former nation of Yugoslavia. Although this region was full of conflict in the 1990s, it is now said to be a peaceful and safe destination that travellers flock to enjoy. It has also earned its name as the Jewel of the Adriatic, and from the site of this photo, it is well-deserved! (Not that I know much about its Adriatic contenders for the title...)


I was so interested in this destination that I watched a show on it on the Travel Channel last night. Unfortunately, it is hosted by the nice-seeming but not so bright former Hugh Hefner girlfriend Bridget and some friend of hers. The informational high points of the show were when friend A asked Bridget what a moat was and then they had a discussion about what city walls were used for. Bridget saw the canon and reasoned that it must have been to protect the city! Sherlock Holmes! (Not that I'm bitter that I don't have a travel show but these girls are seeing the world). So suffice it to say I didn't learn a lot about Dubrovnik, but between the shots of these two ladies in their bikinis (they aren't on there for their brains), I did see enough to know that I hope to make it there one day!

I decided to do a little more research about this intriguing place, and this is what LonelyPlanet.com says:

"Despite the hype, Croatia’s pleasures are more timeless than trendy. Along its 1778 km coastline, a glistening sea winds around rocky coves, lapping at pine-fringed beaches. Istrian ports bustle with fishermen while children dive into the sparkling water. . . . [C]ities throb with nightlife amid ancient Roman ruins. Yachts glide up the coast, movie stars discreetly arrange to buy one of Croatia’s 1185 islands. And no Mediterranean cruise is complete without a stop in Dubrovnik."

So the next ship leaving--I'm ready to sail! Words I never thought I'd say--Croatia here I come!