Friday, April 24, 2009

Flower-Art of the World

I've always loved flowers and art, so what sounds better than travelling and seeing flowers and art? Here are a few examples that I would love to see:

1) Brussels Flower Carpet:

Every two years in the Grand Place of Brussels, a massive carpet of flowers is created for a brief three-day display. Combine that with the home of chocolate and waffles, and you've got one amazing trip.


For more information on this, check out http://www.flowercarpet.be/


2) The Good 'Ole American Rose Bowl Parade

I won't get into the fact that I had booked a room in Pasadena in 2002 when my beloved University of Tennessee Volunteers appeared bound for the Rose Bowl National Championship after an unbelievable victory over Florida at the end of the season to clinch the SEC-East, only to lose to the LSU Tigers in the SEC Championship. I already had my orange rose ready! Hopefully both my team and I will make it to this unbelievable show one of these days. Here's a few up-close shots of the amazing floats:

3) Tulip Fields of Amsterdam

And finally, although this isn't quite man-made art in the same sense, I couldn't discuss my love of flowers around the world without mentioning the tulip fields of Amsterdam. Who wouldn't want to skip through these fields under a windmill? NWA flies direct from Memphis...